Guidance on how to report nuisances or issues

Dangerous or Careless Driving Incidents can be reported to Sussex Police via the link –

Highways issues (potholes etc) report to West Sussex Council  using the link –

Fly tipping report to Mid Sussex District Council using the link: –

Graffiti report to Mid Sussex Council via the link

Graffiti can also be reported to the Balcombe Parish Clerk.

For more information see below

Dangerous or Careless Driving

In discussion with WSCC regarding speeding traffic in the village they have advised us of a current Sussex Police initiative – Operation Crackdown. This initiative is available to report anti-social driving such as speeding, dangerous driving and driving whilst using a mobile phone etc. 

This gives residents the opportunity to report and record specific incidents of anti-social driving that the Police can then follow up and investigate.

Incidents can be reported to Sussex Police via the link –

The report will typically take between 5 and 10 minutes to complete. If you started a report previously, you can return to it to complete at a later time.

You will be asked to provide:

  • The license plate number of the vehicle (this is mandatory for the Police to action the report)
  • The make, model and colour of the vehicle.
  • Details about when and where the incident happened
  • Any additional information that may help us to identify the driver
  • Any photos, videos or dash cam footage (taken by a passenger or when the car is stationary) can help with any actions than come from a report being submitted.

Your contact details will be treated in the strictest confidence, once your report has been submitted the only further contact Operation Crackdown will make with you is if we need any additional information about your incident.

Highway Issues

West Sussex County Council are responsible for all matters affecting the highways  such as potholes, overgrown vegetation, damaged kerbs, footpaths and verges, which you come across in the county.

You can submit a report using the link –

You will be asked to select and describe the problem and give the location on an in-app map. It is possible to see what other reports have been produced for the area. It is not necessary to set up an account to report any issues

The Council will investigate and their responses can be followed-up on the site.

Fly Tipping

Fly-tipping is the illegal dumping of waste and can be anything between a single bin-bag of rubbish to large quantities of waste emptied by trucks and can appear on roadsides, in lay-bys or on private land.

If you see someone fly-tipping do not stop them yourself. Try and take a photograph instead and note:

  • Location
  • Time and date
  • The vehicle’s number plate
  • Description of the vehicle – including make, model and any noticeable features
  • Any phone numbers on the vehicle
  • The type of rubbish being dumped

You can report to MSDC using the link: –

Mid Sussex Council will try to remove fly-tipping from public land within three working days of being reported. Private landowners are responsible for removing fly-tipping from their own land.


Although some graffiti can look nice unfortunately most graffiti is not and it is an offence if done without the owner’s permission. It is the duty of the Town and Parish Councils to remove unwanted graffiti.

You can report graffiti directly to the Parish Clerk at

or to Mid Sussex Council via the link

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment


MAKE A CHANGE – BECOME A PARISH COUNCILLOR. WHAT DO COUNCILLORS DO?Councillors are the champions of their community and give residents a voice on the decisions the council makes. Becoming a councillor will allow you to make a real difference in your community by engaging with residents, local groups and businesses to find out their needs; making decisions on which services and projects the council should take forward, and getting involved locally to ensure the services are meeting your community’s needs.

HOW MUCH TIME DOES A COUNCILLOR NEED TO DEDICATE? Councillors put aside, on average, three hours a week for council work. This often includes attending meetings, engaging with residents and speaking on behalf of the council to other bodies.

CAN I STAND? There are only a few rules: You must be:• at least 18 years’ old• a British citizen, an eligible Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of any member state of the European Union, and• Live or work in Balcombe

HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED? Contact the Parish Council at or telephone 01444 811833

The next Parish Council meeting will be held on 15th December – this will be the cut off date in which we will be considering applicants. Please contact the Parish Clerk to state your interest, or to obtain further information. If you would like to apply it is preferable that a C.V/ outline of your areas of expertise is provided to the Clerk.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment